Churros are a fried pastry dough coated in cinnamon sugar. These sweet pastries were made popular in America by street vendors and festival stands, and many Americans only get to enjoy the churro during the summer months at traveling carnivals and events.
However, churros have been a staple treat in Spanish and Portuguese cultures for centuries. They can be served at any time of day as a snack or a light meal. They are sometimes served with melted chocolate or café con leche.
We put our unique twist on the classic churro to create a churro Joy Cone. This baked cinnamon treat is sweet and crunchy — the perfect pairing for classic vanilla ice cream.
What you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 box Joy Sugar Cones
- 1 package premade pastry dough
- Vanilla ice cream
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Unpackage the premade pastry dough and roll it out into a large rectangle. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on both sides of the dough. Gently rub the cinnamon sugar into the surface of the dough with your palm.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1-inch thick strips. Then, roll each strip into a thin log.
- Place a Joy Sugar Cone upside down on a flat surface. Starting at the wide base, wrap the dough around, working your way to the point. Make sure there are no gaps.
- Place each wrapped cone on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake as directed on the pastry dough package.
- Remove cones from the oven and let cool completely. Serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
At Joy, we love making our own version of classic recipes like this one! Check out a few of our favorite recipes on our blog:
Want the scoop on everything Joy? Sign up for our newsletter for all the latest news and discounts! Help us spread the Joy — follow us on Facebook or on Instagram at @joyconeco.