Quality Assurance Manager
Job Title: Quality Assurance Manager
This position is located in Le Mars, IA. Successful applicants will be local to the area or able to relocate.
The Quality Manager will oversee the Quality Department at Bo Deans, Joy Baking Group’s Le Mars, IA location. This person will facilitate and maintain the food safety and quality programs in coordination with the Production, Warehouse, Maintenance, Procurement, and Sanitation departments. This position will work closely with the Quality Director and various department personnel to ensure the facility is meeting the Joy Baking Group, regulatory, and customer requirements for food safety and quality standards in a food manufacturing environment. This person will supervise Quality Department personnel including Quality Technicians and Specialists. Commitment to gain a thorough understanding of company policies and procedures and supporting their application is essential. Although this role is primarily day turn hours, as a continuously operational facility, some collaboration with other departments and personnel may be necessary during off-shifts.
RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for managing food safety and quality programs, including pre-requisite programs, and ensuring compliance with internal, regulatory, GFSI (SQF), and customer requirements
- Fulfill role as SQF practitioner (both food safety and quality), HACCP coordinator, and PCQI in compliance with FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
- Responsible for internal & 3rd party food safety/quality audits (regulatory, customer, Organic, NGMO, and/or SQF), including audit preparation and program review
- Coordinate the development, implementation, maintenance & validation of the HACCP / Food Safety and Quality Plans
- Manage the performance of the Quality team by providing guidance and feedback and developing skills and competencies of the team by facilitating training and learning on the job
- Establish and implement food safety and quality training for facility personnel to ensure facility personnel are equipped with the competency to produce a safe, quality finished product
- Oversee the internal microbiological laboratory operations and compliance, including proficiency testing
- Develop, implement, and ensure maintenance of the environmental monitoring program and 3rd party lab testing
- Responsible for food safety and quality trend analysis, SPC programs, generating and reviewing data reports with facility personnel to reduce process variation and drive root cause analysis of non-conformities
- Responsible for customer / consumer complaint program including complaint responses, investigations, root cause analysis, corrective and preventive action responses and tracking and trending
- Manage non-conformance program including investigations and complete CAPA reports ensuring timely resolution and verification of effectiveness
- Maintain and implement product specifications and ensure finished goods are labeled as per regulatory and customer requirements
- Manage the traceability program for materials and finished goods from receipt to shipping
- Support the Procurement team in the management of the Vendor Qualification Program
- Assist Research and Development with new products through all phases of conceptualization to commercialization
- Review and maintain records and documents within Quality department operations
- Provide guidance for facility personnel on food safety and quality issues to maintain material and finished product standards
- Communicate food safety and quality-related concerns with Senior Management
- Develop and implement continuous improvement initiatives within the department and facility focused on food safety & quality
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisor
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, & APPROVAL OF WORK:
- Under the direction of the Quality Director (based in Hermitage, PA), activities are assigned and conducted according to company policies and procedures.
- College or 5 years of experience in a comparable position
- Knowledgeable in food manufacturing principles and operations with regard to food safety and quality requirements
- Knowledge of HACCP, GMP, FSMA, SQF, food security, food fraud, and other essential food safety programs
- Laboratory experience, including fundamental laboratory techniques, in sample collection and microbiological analysis
- Exceptional people skills and ability to work with personnel in a variety of disciplines
- Excellent communication skills to listen and speak effectively with team members and actively participate in team meetings
- Leadership experience in managing or supervising personnel, as well as ability to follow direction and work independently
- Strong organizational skills and ability to analyze / interpret technical information, mathematical concepts, and form conclusions
- Computer proficient in MS office and experience with SPC software
- Ability to work full-time, approximately 45-50 hours/week, primarily day turn hours, with occasional standing, walking, lifting
- Please include a cover letter and resume with the online application for this position.
Select “get application” below for a printable application form or complete the fields at the bottom of the page to submit your application online.
Location: Le Mars, IA